“Meditation is like giving a hug to ourselves, getting in touch with that awesome reality in us. “ ~Paramahansa Yogananda
Not sure how to start meditating?
Here are quick and simple tips to get you started.
- Choose a time in your day you can commit to meditating with consistency.
- Set a timer for the length of time you want to meditate.
- Sit or lie comfortably. You may want to invest in a meditation cushion.
- Close your eyes.
- Take a few deep-centering breaths to slow down and relax. Then let your breath go. Don’t try to control it.
- Thoughts will bubble up. Don’t fight them and don’t follow them. Imagine each thought on a cloud that the wind blows away.
- Gently bring your focus back to your breath.
Maintain this meditation practice for a minute to two to start.
Then gradually increase your time.
Apps to Support Your Practise
- Insight Timer is my favourite choice and there’s a free version of it available for iPhone and Android. You can even see who around the world is meditating when you are!
- Calm produces mindfulness meditation products. These include a digital service offering mindfulness-based guided meditations and Sleep Stories, which are available online and via an app.
Books to Go Deeper
Love to read? Here are a few books on mediation that I recommend: