The Power of Affirmations
“If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.” ~ Anonymous
Your thoughts shape your life. If you think you can’t do something it’s true. And chances are that if your reality isn’t aligned with your dreams, there is a limiting belief that is controlling your actions. It is your thoughts that move your brain to action. So whether you think something is possible, or impossible, your brain will accept that as truth and align your actions to make that happen, or not happen.
Not sure if you have negative thoughts affecting your life? I invite you to ask yourself:
- Am I experiencing the relationships and health I desire?
- Am I getting the results I want in my business?
- Do I quit your new year’s resolutions just days in?
- Do I regularly find excuses about why I can’t take action on my dreams?
If you are ready to change your life then you need to start changing your thoughts. This is where affirmations can help.
Affirmations are short, powerful and positive sentences aimed to shift both the conscious and subconscious minds. Evidence-based research shows that affirmations actually change the brain on a cellular level.
Affirmations are one of the first tools I used to shift my negative thinking when I discovered Louise Hay’s book, You Can Heal Your Life. I loved the idea of writing little encouraging messages to myself. I thought this would be an easy and fun way to start shifting my limiting thoughts. I had no idea how powerful this tool would be!
I used affirmations daily and posted notes everywhere. I had reminders of what I wanted to create stuck to my bathroom mirror, the refrigerator, in my office and car, and on my phone. It took conscious effort to shift my thinking, but it was possible.
You might be questioning how words on a post-it note can change a lifetime of negative self-talk and limiting beliefs? (Here is more research that affirmations work.) To be successful you need intention and repetition.
Like any muscle you repeatedly work to get stronger your brain needs repetition too. Your brain wants you to succeed! It is just waiting for you to pick a positive thought and program it for success.
HOW TO CREATE A POWERFUL AFFIRMATION
- Identify what you want to change and write it down.
Who do you want to become? What behavior do you want to change? I started with wanting to change my self-worth and my financial situation.
- Affirmations are written in the present moment as your brain only operates in the present tense. Write and speak to your affirmation as if it is already happening- I am _____.
- “I am” are two of the most powerful words you can use. Think of these words as putting into motion what it is you want to create. “I am a loving woman”. “I am a powerful creator of my dreams”. “I am worthy of receiving abundance.” “I am a magnet for money”
- Make the affirmations powerful for you! Use words that resonate with your heart and get you excited about the future.
- Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
- There is no magical formula for how often you should repeat your affirmation to change your brain. Daily consistency, however, is key. (Remember you are changing years of negative programming.)
- After you identify the affirmation you want to use write it down. Then look in the mirror, and speak your affirmation out loud. Words are powerful. They shift the energy in you and around you. It may feel weird at first, but keep going until you can accept these words into your heart as your truth.
- Post your affirmation where you can see it every day. You may want to make an image of your affirmation and use it as a background on your phone and computer. Using them in meditation, doing visualizations with them, also reinforces the message in your subconscious.
“The power of the words I AM can change how you see yourself and how you see others. We have been conditioned to believe that who we are is ordinary—that who we are is what we have, what we do, what people think of us, what we own, and none of this is who we really are. Who we are is infinite light divine creation, and that creation is within all of us.” -~ Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
Here are a few additional affirmations to spark some of your own ideas.
- I am powerful, beautiful and brave.
- I am enough just as I am.
- I am strong and confident.
- I am happy, healthy and energized.
- I am worthy of my dreams.
If you want even more affirmations, download my ebook: Affirmations for Your Body, Mind, and Soul. You will find also affirmations you can use as wallpaper for your phone on instagram.
Affirmations can help you reshape your beliefs, which will reshape your actions, causing your life to shift. Aren’t you ready to stop with the excuses, take control of your mind, and go after your dreams?
I’m here to support you in all that is possible.
With love + light,