Listening to the Whispers of Your Soul
“You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you’ll discover will be wonderful. What you’ll discover is yourself.”- Alan Alda
Deep in our souls we know the importance of slowing down and just being with ourselves, yet too many of us have embraced society’s message that we are only worthy if we are busy doing. This has kept us moving too fast, expending too much energy on things we don’t want to do but feel we should, and most importantly, it has kept us from connecting to our true selves.
When faced with a decision we often think it about it, over and over again, and perhaps even seek the counsel of others to find a solution. Yet, all the answers we seek are within us. We just need to turn inwards and listen to the whispers of our soul, our intuition, to find the answers to our life. It’s really quite simple. We’ve just made it complicated by over thinking. And when we are continually in our heads we activate fear responses.
Every living person has intuition. We are all born with it. We’ve all experienced it even if we didn’t label it as that. It can be an inner voice, a premonition, or an image in our mind. It is that gut feeling that spoke to you about your next action but you discounted it and then went ahead and made a mess of your life- you married a partner you knew wasn’t right for you or perhaps followed a career that you knew deep down wasn’t your true purpose. That’s the intuition I am talking about!
Sadly though we have tuned out the inner guide’s voice. There are numerous reasons why we have become disconnected from our inner wisdom and are overcome with fear and doubt and not showing up in the world with our full power.
Our biggest challenge to reconnecting with our inner wisdom is overcoming society’s norms and the value it has placed on logical thinking. We are living lives that society says we should. (Our inner guide doesn’t care about the shoulds, she only cares about is what is best for us.) We have lost the courage to follow the whispers that come from our soul telling us what is best for us. Instead we play it safe in our head and try to figure things out by thinking about them. We spend so much energy thinking about things that we deprive the rest of our body of vital energy and drag ourselves from one commitment to the next, completely exhausted.
Many of us are also not comfortable in our bodies and our poor body image has kept us from our power. For years I was unhappy with what I looked liked. But as I got older I began to appreciate all my body has done for me- created three beautiful people, carried me to the tops of mountain peaks and to the bottoms of canyons and has allowed me to show up in my life each and every day. There is peace that comes with turning a deaf ear to society and accepting yourself for how truly amazing you really are.
It also takes courage to listen to the guide’s voice as it means there are things we may have to face up to such as that we need a different partner or a new career. It’s easier not to take action and stay where we are even if these things are making us unhappy.
Intuition is based on our feelings, not our thoughts. It is the power of knowing without logic and without evidence and it takes a leap a faith to start sitting silently and listening to what your soul is telling you.
You have all the answers you need to all your decisions, you just can’t access it because you are thinking too much instead of feeling. However you canmove from your brain into your body and reconnect with your intuition. It will just take some practice. Here is how to begin.
- First accept that you already know what is best for you and that your inner guide does exist. Ditch scepticism! Be open to the fact you have a sixth sense.
- Slow down and make time for yourself. Even just 5-10 minutes of sitting in silence will allow your mind to rest and reenergize your body.
- Meditate. Slow down the wild monkeys jumping in your brain through a daily mediation practise.
- Spend time in silence. Turn off the TV and just BE.
- Breathe deep and get grounded. You need to be calm to access your intuition.
- Ask questions and then listen, and listen some more. Be patient. A response may not always be immediate.
- Keep an intuition journal to help clear your mind of the chatter and help you develop an understanding of your intuition. Write down your questions and then record the answers or images that come forth
- A simple visualization exercise of closing your eyes and calling forth your inner guide can bring some unique surprises!
- Get your body moving! Find an activity you enjoy that will allow you to reconnect with your body and bring some energy into it. Try a yoga class, go for a bike ride, or put on music at home and dance.
- Practise accessing your inner guide daily. Like any muscle the more you use it the stronger it gets.
Take time to listen to the whispers of your soul. The more you connect to your inner guide, the more you will connect to your true self, experience more joy, and make all your dreams come true.
With love and light,