15 Ways to Show Yourself Some Love
“When you have developed a relationship with yourself, you can begin to take on the world.” Gabriella Kortsch
Showering ourselves with our own love isn’t always easy. We know that we need to love ourselves more but what does self-love look like when you’ve never done it?
When I began my own journey I had no idea where to start. I had spent years meeting everyone else’s needs that I forgot what it took to nourish my own soul.
There was the standard, “have a bubble bath” or book a pedicure”, and while these actions were definitely moving me in the right direction, I didn’t know what to do next.
Self-love will definitely look different for each of us. And while you may be challenged to think of a way to show yourself some love, you actually know exactly what you need. By making time to reconnect with your heart’s desires, by tuning into your body, you can learn what it takes for you to feel nourished. Connecting to your intuition can take time to develop… so in the interim I’ve created a list of suggestions that will kick-start your self-love adventure. Why not start today?
Self-love has never felt this good!
- Spend an afternoon lying outside reading something utterly delicious, naughty and fun.
- Buy yourself the biggest most beautiful bunch of flowers you can afford. Display the bouquet where you can constantly admire them- your office desk, bedroom bureau, or kitchen table.
- Spend some time alone and without your phone. For many women, this will feel really uncomfortable. Going out alone can make you feel awkward. You may feel like everyone is staring at you, judging you. They aren’t, and even if they were, who cares? Treat yourself to a solo lunch date, go see a movie, browse your favourite book store. Venturing out on your own is essential for reconnecting with yourself. Trust me on this…the more you do it, the more you will start to crave this alone time.
- Splurge on the sexiest, raunchiest lingerie set you can find. Wear it under your everyday clothes. You’ll instantly feel better and maybe even swagger a little as you go through your day with this little sexy secret.
- Write a love letter to yourself. Imagine all the things you’d want a partner to say to you and jot them down.
- Write inspiring messages to yourself on the mirror. I bought a cheap bright red lipstick and regularly scrawl notes on my mirror that say things like, “You are gorgeous!”, “You are amazing”, “I love you”. Every time you walk past the mirror your heart will be uplifted and you’ll see your beautiful smile in the reflection. I leave notes on other people’s mirrors when I visit their homes. My family and friends love the messages they discover long after I’ve gone.
- Buy yourself a bottle of champagne. On your way home stop at the dollar store and pick up a tiara and feather boa. Go home and put them on and pop the cork to celebrate your perfection. You will instantly feel more glamorous. Bask in your awesomeness!
- Go to a bakery and pick out the most decadent treat you see. Don’t forget to get whip cream! Sit down and savour your purchase with a cup of your favourite tea or the champagne.
- Stand naked in front of the mirror and admire your body. Really look at it and give thanks for all the amazing things your body has let you accomplish this far in your life. It’s carried you a long way and maybe even created a couple of humans. Try shouting out, “ I love my body!” Do it until it rings true or until the neighbours knock wondering if you have lost your mind.
- Move your body and better yet move it outside. You will instantly feel better as you stir up some endorphins and being outside has all kind of benefits to reap.
- Read some poetry. Second-hand bookshops are a great source for cheap poetry books. Poetry can help you gain a new perspective on your world. It’s not all complicated sonnets.
- Call in sick to work and when everyone has left the house do whatever your heart desires- but no housework! Watch old movies, eat popcorn for lunch, read, paint your nails, or just sleep.
- Throw away your scale or at least put it out of sight. I got rid of mine and its been so freeing. If my pants start to feel tight I know its time to cut back on the desserts. No longer will a number on the scale dictate my inner world.
- Start a journal. Writing helps clear the mind and is a great way to connect with your inner self. Set a timer for 10 minutes and just start to write. On days I don’t know what to write, I actually write, ”I am sitting at m computer but don’t know what to write.” Words will come. Don’t edit. Just let it be a free-flowing stream of consciousness. You might surprise yourself.
- Get sexy with yourself. This is a vital part of the self-love process. Don’t be shy. Sleep naked, read erotica, watch porn, buy a sex toy. (You can do this online. No visit to a seedy sex shop required.) Have fun experimenting on your own. When you learn what turns you on an off, you can voice your desires in the bedroom. Speaking your voice is powerful and can lead to a whole lot more fun.
Self-love isn’t selfish. By caring for yourself you have more love to share with the world and that’s a great thing. How does the song go?… Love is what makes the world go around!
“Self-love, is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting.” ~ William Shakespeare
With love + light,