Creating Goals with Soul
“I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Setting goals is a powerful action for creating a life you love.
But have you ever stopped and asked yourself why you want the goals you want? Are your goals coming from what you think you should be doing or achieving, or are your goals soul-driven from the heart of your true self?
Goals with soul connect you to your truth.
They bring your life into alignment with your soul’s desires. Goals with soul ignite a fire within that burns so bright they drive you to take inspired action and achieve your dreams, even when you want to give up.
Most of us set goals hoping when we can check the box of achievement, we will feel a certain way. But have you ever reached a goal and it didn’t bring you the pleasure or joy you thought it would?
Danielle LaPorte, the creator of The Desire Map, believes that we have our relationship to goal setting backwards. Her theory is that chasing things that will make us feel a certain way, (whether it is a house at the beach, a new job, a perfect relationship) without being clear on how we want to feel or why we want to feel that particular feeling, will leave us feeling confused, frustrated and unfulfilled.
When we get clear on how we want to feel, not when we have reached the goal, but everyday, we design goals that are life affirming and deeply nourishing. We easily align ourselves with things that make us feel that way, and start consciously creating that feeling in our life today expanding our bliss instantly! And when you know how you want to feel making decisions gets easier because if it doesn’t align with how you want to feel you just don’t do it!
Your feelings are signposts that point you in the direction of your soul. The worse you feel in your life, the further you are away from being in alignment with your true self.
How do you set goals with goals with soul?
- Find a quiet space.
- Take a deep breath and ask yourself what goals do you want to achieve this year. Write them all down.
- When that’s done look at each goal and ask yourself why do you want that goal? What is fuelling this particular desire? Do you want to feel peaceful, happy, sexy, successful, energetic, fulfilled, creative, energetic, confident? Here is a list of more feeling words to help you define your desired feelings.
- Do this for each goal.
- Now it’s time to narrow it down. Select ten words or fewer that resonate with your heart. Read you list of words. What words pull at your heart? Your truth wants to bubble up and you are creating space for it now.
- As you review your list you may notice a pattern. Are some of the same feelings and words repeating through your answers?
- Go through the list one more time and fous in on 3-5 words that are how you want to feel this year.
- Write those words down on a new page and create your goals with soul. Ask yourself: what you want to create this year? What do you want to do? To have? What experiences are ahead that are in alignment with your core desired feelings Those goals are your soul’s desires. Go chase them!
Getting clear on how you want to feel in your life will help you create the life your true self was meant to live. If you want to dive deeper into living a life in alignment with your truth join my Soulfully Aligned Coaching Program. It is a six-week kick start to designing your best life.
With love + light,
Honest moment: I am an affiliate for Danielle Laporte but I wouldn’t recommend this process unless I believed in it, and have gone through the Desire Mapping experience my self. It works and has been part of my year-end planning for four years.