What Are Your Non-Negotiables?
Have you ever noticed how the things that nourish us are the first things we let slide when life gets busy?
I know this because I am challenged by this pattern in my own life.
Last weekend I was lying on the couch feeling lethargic and depleted.
I was wishing I had time and the energy to meditate or do a workout. I have been thinking a lot lately about things I wished I was doing but I am just not doing them. I have been feeling like this a lot longer than I care to admit.
It didn’t happen all at once. Life got busy, the weather got cold, the rain set in and one by one I dropped the activities and passions that fuel me. I wanted to feel energetic and happy again and I knew what I needed to do.
I needed to shift.
I’d love to say that the shift was filled with ease and grace. It wasn’t. I dragged myself to my meditation mat. And I mean dragged. Because as soon you commit to doing something different all that ugly real icky uncomfortable resistance comes up causing us to stay right where we are.
My inner critic got really loud as I began to get up from the couch. Maybe my inner critic sounds like yours?
“You don’t have time to meditate look at the pile of laundry.”
“There isn’t time to go for a workout you have a long list of things to get done and you haven’t event started thinking about Christmas preparations.”
Well the only way to get to the other side is through. You have to allow the resistance in and then move forward. So despite the resistance I dropped my butt onto the mat. I started to go within and only moments later, in the silence, I received the inspiration.
It was time to recommit to the practises that nourished my body. mind and spirit. Because when I am nourished from the inside out I feel centered, energetic and and connected to the Universe. I LOVE that feeling!
And that’s exactly how I want to feel in my life. More inspiration please!
We are filled with energy when we are focused on what excites us.
Do you know what fuels you and fills you with excitement and energy for your own life?
Here are a few questions to ask yourself to kick-start the discovery process.
- What fuels you and gives you energy?
- What makes you feel happy?
- What would help you create the life I desire?
- What activities would leave you feeling accomplished at the end of my day no matter what else you actually got done?
As you answer the above questions you might come up with multiple practices you want to commit to. I encourage you to be realistic. Don’t overwhelm yourself. You want to build consistency and momentum of these practices so I suggest to narrow your choices down to no more than three.
Here are my daily non-negotiables:
- Go Within – I am recommitting to my spiritual practice of mediation, prayer and solitude. Going within lets me do the work I d
- Movement– Whether it’s a spin class, yoga or just walking with my dog I am committing to sweating and moving releases the emotions in my body. I know exercise makes me happier.
- Write – I love to write! Writing helps me organize my thoughts and feelings and gives my inner world a voice. Yet, every time I sit at the computer I’m pulled by email and social media alerts. I am committing to turning off my alerts and writing for 30 minutes every morning before I enter the online world.
- Once you have your daily non-negotiables I suggest you post your list where you can see them. I made a quick photo to use for my iPhone background at it helps me stay focused. I also recommend posting the daily practice’s somewhere the rest of your family can see them so they can support and encourage you too.
Commit! Commit! Commit!
After 30 days review your items to ensure that they are still in alignment with your heart’s desires and the life you want to create.
Taking the time to discover your non-negotiables will help you refocus your life. Watch your life and your energy shift as you make space to nourish your own heart, body and mind.